Anderson County paramedic's murder trial continues

Anderson County paramedic's murder trial continues

Phillip Douglas Seals in court Phillip Douglas Seals in court

July 19, 2006

6 News Reporter

CLINTON (WATE) --  Testimony continued Wednesday in the double murder trial of a former paramedic with Anderson and Campbell counties.

Phillip Douglas Seals is charged with two counts of premeditated first degree murder and two counts of felony murder. Prosecutors say he shot his estranged wife and her boyfriend multiple times.

Seal's co-workers took the stand Wednesday to describe chilling conversations they'd had. Robert  Byrd, EMS Director of Anderson County, said Seals had come into his office to talk about his marital problems.

"Misty didn't want to be in the marriage. She was having an affair. He wanted to stay in the marriage," Bryd testified.

Prosecutors say Seals was trying to reconcile with his estranged wife. The two had planned to a trip to Kentucky but he got home to find Misty Harmon Seals in bed with her lover, Mark Newton.

Authorities say that's when he lost control and shot the pair with a 45 caliber automatic pistol.

EMS Deputy Chief Gary Davis got several phone calls from Seals while investigators were at his wife's home after the crime was committed. "He was crying. He says you're leaving me hanging."

A pathologist, Dr. Cleland Blake, also took the stand Wednesday to describe injuries sustained by the pair.

He said both were shot multiple times. Misty Seals died when one of the bullets went through her heart. Newton was shot five times and lived for a while, before succumbing to his wounds.

A private investigator also took the stand Wednesday to testify that Seals had hired his company to conduct surveillance on his wife.

Seals paid about $700 for investigators to follow her and videotape her whereabouts. He also spent about $50 on a check mate kit that tests for semen.

Prosecutors presented a receipt from Wal-Mart. An employee testified that Seals had purchased ammunition for a 45-caliber handgun. The receipt was dated one month before the alleged crime occurred.

In the courtroom listening to all the testimony were the mother and aunt of Misty Seals. The family was visibly sobbing and walked out of the room when the pathologist took the stand.

In an interview with 6 News outside the courtroom, Pearl Harmon, Misty's mom, said, "My hopes is that he spends the rest of his life in prison."

Cella Cooper, Misty's aunt, added that Seals had destroyed the family by taking away a woman they loved. "He's just ruined my sister's life and her family. It's just heartbreaking. That's all I can say."

Prosecutors are expected to rest their case some time Thursday. Defense attorneys say they have not decided whether the defendant will take the stand yet.

Doug Seals' family declined 6 News' request for an interview.


Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.