Holidays can lead to choking hazards for children

WATE 6 On Your Side staff - KNOXVILLE (WATE) - The holiday season means a busy time for families. Many will be shopping for gifts and decorating. However, gifts and decorations could lead to a heath hazard for children. Choking is one of the most common injuries seen in children around the time, according to East Tennessee Children's Hospital.

Emergency Director Dr. Ryan Redman says there can be many choking hazards:

  • Christmas ornaments: Place breakable and sharp ornaments, and trimmings with removable parts out of a child's reach
  • Wrapping paper
  • Tinsel and pine needles
  • Small toys (rubber balls, Legos, etc.): Check each toy for age suggestions

Some items can be ingested hazards:

  • Button batteries (can be inside watches, cameras, game controls, remotes): Batteries can burn the lining of the esophagus and stomach. They must be surgically removed immediately. Do not wait for them to pass.
  • Alcohol: Can be found in mixed drinks, perfumes, seasonal oils, and household cleaners
  • Seasonal plants (mistletoe and poinsettia): Can cause stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea

More Stories

Meet the Team

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

Latest Local News

Video Center