KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) - Olive Garden in Turkey Creek and Hardee's on Kingston Pike recorded the lowest grades in the latest round of restaurant inspections.
Olive Garden, located at 10923 Parkside Drive, scored a 76 on their recent inspection. The inspector said he watched a waiter dip ice with a cup, instead of a scoop. You're supposed to use a scoop so your bare hands don't come in contact with the ice. The inspector also found the ice scoop was dirty.
A waitress with long painted fingernails wasn't wearing gloves as she prepared food. Anyone with long painted fingernails is required to wear gloves when handling food.
The inspector also found a dirty can opener. Some employees didn't know the answers to questions about illness symptoms.
At Hardee's the score was an 82. While that's also a passing score, there were some violations noted.
The inspector found food preparation tables were dirty. The ketchup dispenser, tongs and the refrigerator floor were dirty. In her report, the inspector wrote, "the overall establishment needs cleaning."
Food temperatures were also a a problem. Chicken tenders ranged in temperature from 118 to 130 degrees and chicken sandwiches at 110 to 110 degrees. Food must be held at 135 degrees and above to kill any bacteria growth.
The inspector also found a hand sink where employees are supposed to wash their hand blocked by a tea urn.
Here are the top scores of the week:
- Sweet Frog, 10901 Parkside Drive: 100
- Cook Out, 2135 Cumberland Avenue: 100
- Casual Pint, 234 Brookview Center Way: 100
- Lifehouse Coffee, 7545 Brickyard Road: 100
- Awaken Coffee, 125 W. Jackson: 100
- Wright's Cafeteria, 5310 Middlebrook Pike: 99
- Firehouse Subs, 5226 Broadway: 99
- Subway, 10244 Kingston Pike: 99
- Moe's Southwest Grill, 9456 Northshore Drive: 99
- Potbelly Sandwich Shop, 1161 Parkside Drive: 99
- Chick-fil-a, 5100 Broadway: 98
- Crown & Goose, 123 Central Street: 98