WATE 6 On Your Side staff - KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) -- Rural/Metro Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire Tuesday night in the Halls community of Knox County.
Firefighters made their way into the house just after 7 p.m. and rescued two cats and one dog. A third cat could not be revived.
Firefighters say a large amount of clutter inside the house made the fire difficult to fight.
The fire was stopped as it reached the attic. About half of the home was destroyed and the other half had smoke and heat damage.
Rural/Metro says the homeowner tried to put out the fire and then move the burning couch outside before calling the fire department. When the couch got stuck inside the front door, the called because the fire had gotten to big. Rural/metro says people should call the fire department first, before trying to put out fires themselves.