WHITE PINE, Tenn. (WATE) - Two Jefferson County inmates who escaped Thursday afternoon while on a work detail were captured early Friday morning
William Harris, 30, and Jeffery Allen Cross, 48, were working a work detail at White Pine High School. The two were being supervised by school system employees when deputies say they stole a 2009 Ford four-door work truck with a flat bed and drove away from their work detail around noon Thursday.
The escapees were taken into custody at a Gatlinburg motel at three a.m. this morning. Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies were assisted by the Cocke County Sheriff's Office and the Gatlinburg Police Department.
Cocke County Sheriff Armando Fontes says the two were seen ditching the truck in a Newport Food City parking lot and then getting into another vehicle.
They were both charged with escape and theft over $10,000.
- Gatlinburg church reopens this weekend after wildfires
- Cirque du Soleil's 'Corteo' inspires Knoxville students' artwork
- Knox County students plan to take part in National Walkout Day
- Mom concerned about West Knoxville park structure
- Knoxville restaurant records lowest health grade of 2018
- Study finds My People Fund improved lives of wildfire survivors
- 2 men charged with stealing thousands from UT fraternity
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Corker: 'Definitely not sure' if Trump will seek re-election in 2020
- WATCH: 7-year-old dragged off Tennessee school bus by his foot
- State lawmakers pass bill to hold students, teachers harmless from TNReady results
- Missing Memphis girl found safe in New Mexico, father to face charges
- What you need to know about this weekend's Orange and White game
- Forsberg, Rinne help Predators beat Avalanche 3-2 in Game 4
- Forest Service plans controlled burn in Cherokee Forest
A non-profit called Appalachian Wildlife Foundation is finding a new purpose for an old coal mine in Kentucky. The organization plans to open a huge attraction there in 2020.Read More »