RUTLEDGE, Tenn. (WATE) - The wife of a former police officer believe's her husband's sentence is not harsh enough.
Derrick Banks, a former Rutledge police officer, was sentenced to 30 days in jail for assaulting his wife in front of their child.
A 2016 indictment says he broke his wife's jaw.
Elisha had to have her mouth wired shut for three months. She says the worst part is that their son, who was 4-years-old at the time, saw the entire assault.
"My son has cried out numerous times with night terrors and fears. Being scared of his father and what's going to happen to mommy next and what might happen to him," said Elisha. "He's had to have counseling and be on medicine to help him sleep. That's things no 5-year-old should never have had to went through."
Once he's released from jail, Banks will have the chance to become a police officer again if he meets the judge's recommendations.
- Investigators still working to determine cause of deadly Alcoa house fire
- Watchdog group wants new TVA audit
- Online pet scams are on the rise
- No injuries, several pets missing in South Knox County house fire
- Knoxville police: Alleged carjacking victim changes story, says drug dealer shot him
- Clinton officer cleared of wrongdoing in deadly shooting of suspect
- Vonore woman arrested in Blount County after chase in stolen vehicle
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Gatlinburg presents Earth Week in the Smokies
- Who is accused Waffle House shooter Travis Reinking?
- Waffle House suspect still being sought; residents on alert
- Mummy won't be on display when new Tennessee museum opens
- Predators brace for physical series vs Jets in 2nd round
- Predators beat Avs 5-0 in Game 6 to win first-round series
- Tenn. Waffle House shooting hero James Shaw, Jr: 'I just knew it was me or him'
A non-profit called Appalachian Wildlife Foundation is finding a new purpose for an old coal mine in Kentucky. The organization plans to open a huge attraction there in 2020.Read More »