Man arrested after domestic assault, hours-long standoff in East Knoxville

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) - A man was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon for domestic assault after a more than three hour standoff at an East Knoxville home.

Christopher Cornelison, 28, is charged with one count of aggravated assault and domestic violence. 

The Knoxville Police Department says they were called a home on Linden Avenue just before noon where a woman said she had been assaulted by Cornelison, her brother.

"I know in my heart my brother don't mean what he says about me. I know," said Angla Stasse, Cornelison's sister. 

She told police she had gotten into an argument about money and he grabbed her by the throat, choking her. She went unconscious and fell to the floor. When she came to, she ran outside to contact police.

"I didn't want to press charges. I didn't want to. It's a family thing. We didn't have no control over this today. What he did, his actions, he didn't think before he did it," said Stasse. 

Police said Cornelison was inside with his mother, father and uncle and refused to come out of the home. 

Officers reached out to negotiators and around 3:46 p.m., a special operations squad went in and took Cornelison into custody without incident.

A police spokesperson said the victim was "roughed up" and Cornelison had been holding family members against their will. Other charges may be pending.

"I tried to get away because I know if I go, he'd probably calm down for a minute. I had to call the police. I didn't want to, but I had to, for the safety of my mom and dad. I didn't know what would happen if I didn't," said Stasse. 

Stasse says her brother "wasn't in his right mind" and that she didn't know if drugs were involved. 

"I'm not going to comment on the drugs, or whatever, or anything you know? Because I don't know if he was or not. I can't say he was. Only he knows," said Stasse. 

Stasse says she doesn't want to see her brother face any more charges, but rather, she wants to see him "get the help he needs." 

Cornelison is being held on $35,000 bond. 

Trending Stories

Latest Local News

Video Center