WATE 6 On Your Side Staff - MAYNARDVILLE (WATE) - No children were injured when a school bus was involved in an accident in Union County Friday afternoon that resulted in the driver being charged.
Dorothy Steward, 72, faces a charge of failure to exercise due care.
The accident was reported just before 4:30 p.m. on Walker Ford Road at Hogskin Valley Road, according to Union County Sheriff's Department dispatchers.
Officials on the scene say a wheel went off the side of the road. Steward then accelerated in an attempt to get the bus back onto the road, but overcorrected and went across the road into the ditch.
None of the four children on board were injured. Steward was taken to the hospital as a precaution. An aide was also on the bus, but she was also not hurt.
- Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- China, Britain pledge cooperation as UK leaves EU
- Nigeria troops arrest 400-plus Boko Haram fighters, families
- Rules protecting coal miners' dust exposure up for review
- South Africa ruling party's fight for its future kicks off