WATE 6 On Your Side Staff - LUTTRELL, Tenn. (WATE) - A Union County man faces homicide charges after deputies found a man's body partially buried in the front yard of a home.
Robert C. Stafford, 32, is charged with criminal homicide and is being held on $1 million bond.
Deputies were called to a home in the 2100 block of Highway 61 in Luttrell around 10 p.m. Tuesday for a welfare check on Robert E. Murrell Jr., 61, who hadn't reported to work and hadn't been seen since Sunday.
When deputies arrived at the home, they saw what looked like blood on the front porch and a man, identified as Stafford, sitting inside the home who had a handgun. Deputies kept checking the house and surrounding property and quickly found a partially buried body in the front yard.
The body was identified as Murrell and the preliminary investigation showed he suffered from what appeared to be a single gunshot wound.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Knoxville gun rights avocates oppose students' demands on gun control
- Students across Knox County call for change on National Walkout Day
- Navigating the Pigeon Forge Rod Run
- Tractor trailer spills load, closes I-75 lanes in Campbell County
- Pet of the Week: Luna
- Alabama man extradited in Blount County man's homicide
- Codestock opens 11th year
- Tennessee House passes bill for monument to unborn
- 7 Tennessee counties to have industrial sites evaluated
- Corker says he 'doubts' Trump will run for re-election in 2020
- Tennessee passes bill to impose work requirements
- WATCH: 7-year-old dragged off Tennessee school bus by his foot
- State lawmakers pass bill to hold students, teachers harmless from TNReady results
- Missing Memphis girl found safe in New Mexico, father to face charges
A non-profit called Appalachian Wildlife Foundation is finding a new purpose for an old coal mine in Kentucky. The organization plans to open a huge attraction there in 2020.Read More »