(WATE) - A new social media challenge is concerning health experts.
The challenge is encouraging teens to put laundry pods into their mouths. Some teens have bit the pods in videos shared online.
Consuming laundry pods can burn your mouth, lips, breathing tube and more. It can also cause damage to the central nervous system.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers says families should talk to their teens about the risks.
East Tennessee Children's Hospital says if a child places a pod into their mouth, symptoms can include:
- Excessive vomiting
- Wheezing and gasping
- Excessive sleepiness or lethargy
- breathing problems
Parents can keep laundry pods out of reach from children by placing them at a high level or locked away.
Also, it is important for parents to wash their hands well after handling the cleaning product.
If you believe your child has consumed a pod, contact Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222. Store the number in your phone.