House catches fire in Corryton, first responders able to save presents and Christmas tree

CORRYTON, Tenn. (WATE) - Rural/Metro Fire Department responded to a house fire at 9304 E. Emory Road in Northeast Knox County just after noon today. 

Initial firefighters on the scene reportedly saw heavy fire coming from the attic. 

Jeff Bagwell with Rural/Metro says the house is a nearly total loss. People inside the home were able to get out of the house with Christmas gifts. 

"We were able to save a lot of the Christmas gifts," said Bagwell. "Even the Christmas tree, but it's been an extensive overhaul because everything collapsed on the inside."

Neighbors helped the first responders came together to comfort the family and first responders.

"We did come over and brought the firefighters some coffee, water, did what we could do, brought the homeowner a blanket," said David Clabough. "I didn't know what to do."

Investigators on the scene believe that the fire was accidental. They say the homeowner did smell smoke, but thought it was a neighbor burning brush nearby. 

Firefighters shuttled water from two miles away. 

Local News


Trending Stories

Latest Local News

Video Center