WATE's February Teacher of the Month is a second grade teacher at Cedar Bluff Elementary, Mr. Jonathan Lakin.
Mr. Lakin received eight nominations in one month!
Some of the things his students and parents are saying about him:
From an eight-year-old student:
- I love the way Mr. Lakin teaches in special ways. He brings his guitar and sings songs to teach us about spelling.
- He makes learning fun in so many ways.
- He's very caring and also happy with all his students.
- He tells jokes and teaches us new words at the same time.
- He has a special book for each of us that he bought to help us whenever we need to spell a word we don't know.
- He lets us do science experiments that are so fun!
Another nomination said:
- He has a great sense of humor with the children.
- He makes learning fun.
- He is always accessible to parents and is always eager to discuss concerns or answer questions.
- My child says he is a fair teacher to all of the children.
- He attends school functions with enthusiasm (such as dressing up with his family for trunk or treat, and playing guitar in music program).
- Is dedicated to making sure each child is learning to the best of their abilities, including working with parents on things they can do at home and having volunteers work with children in different areas of development.
Here's another nomination that said:
- He is polite and instills respect in his students.
- He's funny.
- He explains the work very clearly.
- He sparks interest in all subjects that he teaches.
- He is cool.
As you can see, a lot of the same qualities are mentioned again and again, like in this nomination:
- Mr. Lakin is a caring person that teaches family values to the children.
- He has a unique ability to get his children interested in learning without them feeling like they are working.
- He has fun with his students while playing the guitar and teaching with his music.
- He rewards the students when their work has resulted in success.
- He educates the parents that their involvement is necessary for the children to learn successfully.
- The children look forward to a wonderful day with a person that they know cares about them and makes school fun.
- My child considers Mr. Lakin a great friend that he has fun with each day at school.
This was also repeated in a nomination: He's patient with the kids.
And another parent wrote:
"My child says: 'He plays with us during recess. He has a cute baby boy, who visits our class sometimes. He switched my seat, when I had a problem with (another student). He lets me bring my Webkinz to school.'"