Our December teacher of the month is a 6th-8th grade physical education teacher at Norris Middle School, Jason Swiney.
Jennifer Swiney nominated him and had these things to say about what he does for the students of Norris Middle School"
1) Created a physical education class for special needs students to work with peer helpers.
2) Created an advanced physical education class to meet the needs of the more athletic students in the school, including students who play on a school team, are cheerleaders, and those who do not play on a school team - but exhibited above average athletic ability.
3) Has gone above and beyond the call of duty coaching football, basketball and track.
4) Is an excellent role model for students.
5) Demonstrates the importance of physical education and actually gets out there and plays the games with the kids.
6) Creates games that require minimal equipment - my favorite is "trash can ball" - which is fast paced, engaging and lots of fun.
7) Builds a genuine bond with the students to where they feel comfortable in coming to him with questions or concerns.