Father and son charged in killing of Newport teen Megan Maxwell

Father and son charged in killing of Newport teen Megan Maxwell

Posted: Updated:
Jeffrey Lee Stock (source: Cocke County Sheriff's Office) Jeffrey Lee Stock (source: Cocke County Sheriff's Office)
Terry A. Stock (source: Cocke County Sheriff's Office) Terry A. Stock (source: Cocke County Sheriff's Office)
Megan Maxwell (source: family) Megan Maxwell (source: family)

NEWPORT (WATE) - Longtime suspect and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Lee Stock and his father, Terry A. Stock, are charged in the killing of Newport teen Megan Maxwell, the Cocke County sheriff announced Wednesday.

Jeffrey Lee Stock, 43, is charged with felony murder and rape.

Terry A. Stock, 64, is charged with accessory after the fact of first degree murder. U.S. Marshals arrested him Tuesday in Flat Rock, Indiana.

The men are also charged with theft of property over $1,000 and arson. Maxwell's burned out 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse was found on E. Highway 25/70 right after her disappearance in April 2009.

Sheriff Armando Fontes said a Cocke County Grand Jury returned the indictments against the two men on October 31.

Authorities say Maxwell was last seen at her father's house. Jeffrey Stock, who was acquainted with Maxwell's father, is also accused of being at the house around that time.

Jeffrey Stock was previously convicted of abducting and sexually assaulting two teenage girls in Indiana. He was charged with failing to register as a sex offender when he moved to Tennessee. He's serving a 72-month sentence for that charge at a federal prison in Tucson, Arizona.

Detective Derrick Woods said he's been to see Stock twice in Tucson and dealt with him several times while he was still in East Tennessee.

Maxwell, 19, was missing for more than a year. Extensive searches were done all over the area and her family made pleas to the public.

Maxwell's skull, other body parts and several pieces of clothing were found in the woods of rural Cocke County in November 2010 by a man walking his dogs.

Sheriff Fontes told 6 News during a live interview Wednesday evening that the turning point in the case was when his investigators finally had enough evidence and witness statements to go before a grand jury.

Although investigators had some physical evidence, the sheriff said people coming forward with information helped them move the case forward.

Sheriff Fontes had said in May that his office was close to charging Jeffrey Stock in Maxwell's slaying. He said Wednesday evening that since that time, they had received more consistent witness information.

Terry Stock was implicated in some of the initial evidence, according to the sheriff, but witnesses helped earn the charges against him.

During his announcement of the charges, Sheriff Fontes addressed the Maxwell family, saying, "I would just like to say that justice is here. We thank you for you patience. We thank you for your confidence during this trying time. And our thoughts and our prayers will continue to be with you in the upcoming years."

After that, Megan Maxwell's mother, Lisa, said, "Today, I'm on cloud nine," and added that she's happy for the first time in a long time due to the charges in the case.

"She was such a good kid, you know. Everyone in the community and her friends, she liked everybody. This is justice, not for me. This is justice for Megan," Lisa Maxwell said. "This is for her."

Lisa Maxwell says she would like for Jeffrey Stock to stay in prison for the rest of his life because if he was ever released from custody, "He would do it again."

Sheriff Fontes said the investigation of this case continues.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.