Nashville to lose $3M for rejecting charter school

Nashville to lose $3M for rejecting charter school

Posted:

NASHVILLE (AP) - The state Department of Education is withholding $3.4 million in funding from the public school system in Nashville over a rejected charter school.

The Metro Nashville school board last week defied an order by the state Board of Education to approve the application from Phoenix-based Great Hearts Academies.

Members of the city's school board said they were concerned the charter school planned to draw from affluent white families, rather than to bring in students from other parts of the city to create a more diverse student body.

Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman said in a release that the department had "no choice" but to strip the funding from Nashville schools because of the refusal to follow state law giving ultimate authority on charter school applications to the state panel.

The State Board of Education said Tuesday it supports the Department of Education's decision.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.