Mobile home fire in Sevier County displaces 10

Mobile home fire in Sevier County displaces 10

Posted:
The Sevier County Fire Department says the home is a total loss. The Sevier County Fire Department says the home is a total loss.
"I got up and looked and that whole trailer was a blaze. Do you know how scary that is when you don't know if anybody got out or not? It was scary," said Parton. "I got up and looked and that whole trailer was a blaze. Do you know how scary that is when you don't know if anybody got out or not? It was scary," said Parton.

By HAYLEY HARMON
6 News Anchor/Reporter

SEVIERVILLE (WATE) - Two families in Sevier County are beginning the new year on a tragic note, as they lost everything they owned in a house fire early Tuesday morning.

The fire started just after 4 a.m. at the mobile home the families shared on the 500 block of Parton Hollow Road in Sevierville.

The Sevier County Fire Department says the home is a total loss.

It leaves 10 people displaced, including four adults and six children.

They all made it out safely, and no one was injured.

The family woke up on the first day of 2013 to flames engulfing their home.

Firefighters arrived just minutes later, and put the fire out, but not before it destroyed everything that belonged to these families.

It was an older mobile home, made mostly of wood, causing the fire to spread at a rapid rate.

"The homeowner said the flames stretched above his head in just a matter of seconds," said Paul Lambert with the Sevier County Fire Department.

Sylvia Parton lives across the street, but owns the mobile home.

She lets relatives, including her grandson and his family, live there rent free.

She says it's hard to look at the debris, seeing rain pouring into what used to be the living room.

But what she saw at 4 a.m. Tuesday morning was much worse.

"I got up and looked and that whole trailer was a blaze. Do you know how scary that is when you don't know if anybody got out or not? It was scary," said Sylvia Parton of Sevierville.

Her biggest concern at that point was the safety of her grandchildren.

"I grabbed the phone and didn't know if I should I call 911 or run over there and see of everybody can get out? Then they hit the door here wide open and said 911 had already been called. I was glad to see them when they got here," said Parton.

They escaped unharmed, but all those new gifts they'd just gotten for Christmas are gone.

"The kids told me that they lost all their presents. Everything that they've received in their Christmas, they've lost. The only thing they had was their clothes on their back," said Lambert.

It will be a few days before the fire department determines an official cause, but say most signs point to a wood burning stove as the culprit.

They also say several oxygen tanks exploded inside the home during the fire.

The woods behind the house caught fire, but were put out quickly.

The American Red Cross is paying for the families to stay in a hotel for the next three nights.

The Sevier County Fire Department is taking donations of toys and stuffed animals to give to the children, some of whom are as young as three years old.

For more information on how to donate, contact the fire department at 865-428-5111.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.