West Knoxville house fire sends senior woman to the hospital

West Knoxville house fire sends senior woman to the hospital

Posted:
It started just before 5 a.m. on Circle Hill Drive in West Knoxville. It started just before 5 a.m. on Circle Hill Drive in West Knoxville.
"It was a heavy smoke so it was already banked down low in the home," said Wilbanks. "It was a heavy smoke so it was already banked down low in the home," said Wilbanks.
The Knoxville Fire Department says ashes from the fireplace are to blame. The Knoxville Fire Department says ashes from the fireplace are to blame.

By HAYLEY HARMON
6 News Anchor/Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A senior Knoxville woman was sent to the hospital Sunday, after an early morning fire at her home.

It started just before 5 a.m. on Circle Hill Drive in West Knoxville.

The Knoxville Fire Department says ashes from the fireplace are to blame.

The fire was well underway when fire crews got to the scene.

Flames had already broken through the roof.

The woman and her daughter were inside the home when the fire started.

Firefighters were greeted by the homeowner's daughter when they arrived.

"Crews arrived on scene and found a female standing in the front yard stating that her mother was inside the home," said Knoxville Fire Department Captain Mark Wilbanks.

So they went in after her.

"It was a heavy smoke so it was already banked down low in the home," said Wilbanks.

They carried her out of the house before putting out the growing flames.

She was immediately taken by ambulance to Parkwest Hospital.

Neighbors say they hate that this happened to her.

"Great part of the neighborhood. Friend of everyone who lives here," said Ralph Harvey, who has lived across the street from her for five years.

They're just glad she made it out.

"We're very pleased that she made it out just fine. Her daughter is taking good care of her. She has two daughters in town and the neighborhood wants to do whatever we can to be of help," said Harvey.

As for the cause, the homeowner told firefighters that after burning a fire last night, she threw away the smoldering embers from the fire starter log.

"They put it down a chute, which was a wooden chute. That went down into a fire box that was in the basement. That's what started the fire," said Wilbanks.

There are some important safety tips to remember when it comes to disposing of ashes.

"Make sure that the fire is completely out. Store those ashes in some type of fireproof box like a metal container with an airtight seal on it. Always make sure your fires are out before you go to sleep at night. Use hardened wood. Not that green wood that you just cut down earlier in the year. Always use that hardened, seasoned wood," said Wilbanks.

The homeowner is expected to be alright.

The home suffered significant damage from the fire and smoke, but is not considered a total loss.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.