28 Nashville students spend night in hospital after gas leak

28 Nashville students spend night in hospital after gas leak

Posted:

NASHVILLE (AP) - More than two dozen students from a Nashville school have been admitted to a hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning, complaining of seemingly flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.

But after students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide. By 9 p.m., 37 of the school's students had been brought to the hospital. Of that number, 28 were admitted and put on oxygen overnight.

Repair workers found a hole in the heating unit that serves the central part of the building, where the kindergarten and first-grade classes are located.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.