Firefighters escape injury when live wire falls

Firefighters escape injury when live wire falls

Posted:

CHATTANOOGA (AP) - Chattanooga firefighters responding to a house fire had a scary moment when a live electrical wire fell across a fire engine.

It happened early Wednesday. Fire department spokesman Bruce Garner said the firefighters avoided electrocution by jumping from the engine, rather than stepping from it, so it did not create a circuit ground. There were no injuries.

The small wood frame house was vacant and was boarded up. A neighbor reported seeing a homeless man in the house recently, so firefighters searched to make certain no one was inside. No one was found.

The neighbor was taken to a hospital with burns to his hand from trying to pry boards off a window.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.