Baby receives second-degree burns in house fire

Baby receives second-degree burns in house fire

Posted:
The cause of the fire was not immediately known. The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A baby was taken to the hospital with second-degree burns Tuesday after a fire broke out in a house in North Knoxville.

Fire officials say they received a call at 1:56 p.m. from a passing motorist about a fire at a home on Hiawassee Avenue after she was flagging down by a woman holding a baby.

When firefighters arrived all people that were inside the home had gotten out, including two babies.

The resident's eight-month-old baby was seriously burned on the back of the legs and taken to University of Tennessee Medical Center for treatment. The woman was also babysitting a 13-month-old baby, who was not injured.

Fire investigators determined the fire started in a front bedroom near or around a space heater.

The resident told fire officials through an interpreter that she had turned the heater on to knock the chill off and went about her business in another part of the home, when she was alerted by a sounding smoke alarm.

She then carried the two infants out of the home.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.