Propane explosion destroys North Knoxville home

Propane explosion destroys North Knoxville home

Posted:
It happened before 9 a.m. on the 1700 block of Fair Drive. (source: Neighbor) It happened before 9 a.m. on the 1700 block of Fair Drive. (source: Neighbor)

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A North Knoxville man says he will never buy a propane heater again after a fire at his home Sunday morning.

Wayne Frazier says his home on Fair Drive caught fire after he tried to turn on a propane space heater.

"I've been using the thing for two years. It has never done that before. But evidently, when I was screwing it in, it cross threaded and just leaked out, and there was fumes there...and boom."

Frazier, who heads to Vanderbilt Hospital later this week for cancer surgery, says something like this can happen to anyone.

Officials said the home suffered significant damage to the living room, and there is heat and smoke damage throughout the house.

Frazier suffered only minor injuries. "It singed my hair. I had to get my hair cut. Singed my beard too. The only burn I got was first degree. So other than that, thank God everything is okay. I feel fine."

Frazier says he's most upset to lose photos of his son who died a few years ago. He is staying with family members until he finds a place of his own.

The KFD advises people to use caution when operating any portable or alternative heat such as propane or kerosene.  Always follow the manufacturer's suggestions.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.