8 lbs. of food thrown out at Turkey Creek restaurant

8 lbs. of food thrown out at Turkey Creek restaurant

Posted:
Eight pounds of food was thrown away at Wild Wing Cafe because of food temperatures. Eight pounds of food was thrown away at Wild Wing Cafe because of food temperatures.
  • Food for ThoughtMore>>

  • Restaurant Scores

    Restaurant Scores

    The inspection scores reported here are accurate at the time of this report. To check the latest scores, visit the Tennessee Department of Health website.
    The inspection scores reported here are accurate at the time of this report. To check the latest scores, visit the Tennessee Department of Health website.More >>
  • Don Dare

    Don Dare

    Don Dare 6 On Your Side reporter Don Dare reports on the latest restaurant inspections by the Knox County Health Department every Thursday on 6 News at 6:00.
    Each week, 6 On Your Side reporter Don Dare checks the latest restaurant inspections by the Knox County Health Department. Find out which restaurants flunked and which are the cleanest every ThursdayMore >>

By DON DARE
Food for Thought Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - There was trouble this week for a popular wing place and fast food restaurant when health inspectors came to check.

We haven't seen this much food thrown away in a long time at a restaurant. It was discarded because of the potential for contamination.

Low scores:

Wild Wing Café, Campbell Station Road - Grade: 62


A score below 70 is considered unsanitary.

In a cooler, the inspector found the temperature of ham and pork at 70 degrees. A rack of rib was at 64 degrees.

More than eight pounds of food was thrown out. The reason? The cooler was not operating properly.

Also, the inspector watched the cook touch his clothes, then his face, then food, but he forgot to wash his hands before touching the food.

Another critical violation, medication from one of the employees had been left on a food preparation counter. That's the wrong place.

Burger King, 127 Northshore Drive - Grade: 62

Here the vegetable chopper was dirty; it had not been sanitized.

Also a kitchen worker forgot to wash his hands as he prepared burgers after touching a container filled with chlorine.

The Tackle Box, Asheville Highway - Grade: 69

The inspector found ants in the kitchen near a sink and under a service counter.

She writes the ice machine was dirty and an employee was observed cleaning off a table, then without washing her hands, she returned to the kitchen and began preparing food.

Top scores:

Now, there are some terrific high inspection grades this week, so let's take a look at them.

  • Bradley's Chocolates, Peters Road - Grade: 100
  • Starbucks, West Town Mall - Grade: 100
  • Dogs Gone Wild, mobile cart - Grade: 100
  • Blount County's Meals on Wheels Program with the Community Action Agency - Grade: 100
  • The Orange Leaf, Kingston Pike - Grade: 98
  • Panera Bread, Parkside Drive - Grade: 97
  • We're Cooking, Peters Road - Grade: 95
  • Einstein Brothers Bagels, Cedar Lane - Grade: 95


Wow! All those high inspection grades in contrast to those in the 60s.

Remember, inspection reports are supposed to be posted where you can see them.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.