4-year-old burned while playing with lighter

4-year-old burned while playing with lighter

Posted:
"He was standing at the sink, the water was on, and his shirt was in flames. I grabbed him and rolled him on the floor," described Ashley McGaha "He was standing at the sink, the water was on, and his shirt was in flames. I grabbed him and rolled him on the floor," described Ashley McGaha
Cayden Chudley is expected to remain at Vanderbilt for two weeks. Cayden Chudley is expected to remain at Vanderbilt for two weeks.
"His arms were burned, his chest and ear lobes," said Lois Klauder "His arms were burned, his chest and ear lobes," said Lois Klauder

By MONA NAIR
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Friday afternoon a 4-year-old boy was flown from Knoxville to Vanderbilt Burn Center in Nashville.

He's being treated for burns all over his body after he set himself on fire at his home on Fox Lonas Road in West Knox County.

The family says Cayden Chudley likes to play with lighters, and they do their best to keep them away from him. But Chudley managed to find one in a closet, and set his shirt on fire.

"He was standing at the sink, the water was on, and his shirt was in flames. I grabbed him and rolled him on the floor," described Ashley McGaha, a family friend who was in the house at the time.

"His whole shirt was engulfed in flames," she added, describing how she put out the fire, after which she called 911.

"His arms were burned, his chest and ear lobes," said Lois Klauder, who was also in the house. She's someone the child considers a grandmother.

She says the boy was born addicted to Oxycontin and his father is in prison. Cayden spent some time in foster care before her family got custody.

"He's a well-adjusted and normal child, but he likes to play with lighters," Klauder explained. Klauder says despite their efforts to keep lighters away from him, he found one in the upstairs closet.

"I feel really bad about what happened. I'm real worried and upset, and I don't know what to do," she said.

They're asking for prayers as Cayden recovers. And say what happened to him is a message to anyone with small kids in the house.

"Learn how important it is to not play with lighters or candles or matches," McGaha said.

Cayden is expected to remain at Vanderbilt for another two weeks.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.