Arson confirmed in second fire at home

Arson confirmed in second fire at home

Posted:
Fire broke out at an East Knox County home early Friday morning that was also the scene of a deadly fire last month. Fire broke out at an East Knox County home early Friday morning that was also the scene of a deadly fire last month.
"I have never seen anything like that and I've lived here for eight years and this has been in my family for almost a hundred years," said neighbor Marsha Thompson. "I have never seen anything like that and I've lived here for eight years and this has been in my family for almost a hundred years," said neighbor Marsha Thompson.

By DREW GARDNER
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A fire that broke out at an East Knox County home early Friday morning was caused by arson, Knox County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Martha Dooley said.

The flames were spotted at a home in the 7200 block of Hammer Road just before 6:00 a.m.

Maria Priscilla Jovel Chicas, 36, was killed in a fire at the same home on June 7.

Rural/Metro officials say the home was abandoned and condemned. Electricity had been cut off to the home.

Fire investigators posted signs Saturday offering an award of up to $1,500 for information leading to the capture of the person, or persons, responsible for setting the fire.

Marsha Thompson lives right across the street and watched in shock as the flames broke out for a second time.

"I have never seen anything like that and I've lived here for eight years and this has been in my family for almost a hundred years," said Thompson.

Thompson hopes the award will inspire someone to come forward.

"I hope whoever has information will turn something in soon so we can get it stopped before somebody else's around here happens the same way," said Thompson.

She says since the second fire she has been extra vigilant.

"I'm starting to watch for the vehicles that come down through here and who we don't know and when the slow down," said Thompson. "We're paying more attention."

For the sake of her four daughters and the rest of the children in the community she hopes others will too.

6 News has learned the house was scheduled to be remodeled after the first fire and the woman who was renting was storing some of her belongings there until those renovations began. She says she lost about $5,000 worth of property.

If you have any information about the fire you are urged to call the Tennessee Arson Hotline at 1-800-762-3017.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.