Oak Ridge home damaged in lightning-sparked fire

Oak Ridge home damaged in lightning-sparked fire

Posted:
Crews were sent to 58 Royal Troon just before 2:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found smoke and fire coming from vents on the front corner of the home. (source: Oak Ridge Fire Department) Crews were sent to 58 Royal Troon just before 2:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found smoke and fire coming from vents on the front corner of the home. (source: Oak Ridge Fire Department)
Firefighters entered the home and were forced to used a chain saw to cut the living room floor open to allow access to the fire. (source: Oak Ridge Fire Department) Firefighters entered the home and were forced to used a chain saw to cut the living room floor open to allow access to the fire. (source: Oak Ridge Fire Department)

OAK RIDGE (WATE) - An Oak Ridge home was damaged in a fire Wednesday that investigators believe was sparked by a lightning strike.

Crews were sent to 58 Royal Troon just before 2:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found smoke and fire coming from vents on the front corner of the home.

Homeowner Carla Farmer told officials that there was a loud thunder clap that shook the house, and the electricity went off.

She then noticed smoke and flames coming from an outside foundation vent.

Firefighters entered the home and were forced to used a chain saw to cut the living room floor open to allow access to the fire.

Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley says it appears the lightning traveled into the home either by the electrical system or natural gas pipes.

Several electrical circuits had tripped in the breaker panel, and a small hole was found in the natural gas line feeding the fireplace.

The fire caused $10,000 in damage to the home. No one was injured, but the residents will be relocated until repairs are complete.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.