Blount Co. couple safe after mobile home catches fire

Blount Co. couple safe after mobile home catches fire

Posted:
Blount County dispatch confirms firefighters responded to the blaze around 4:30 a.m. on Williamson Chapel Road. Blount County dispatch confirms firefighters responded to the blaze around 4:30 a.m. on Williamson Chapel Road.
"My dad woke up this morning to the fire alarm going off. When he opened the door, the house was just full of smoke, so he got him, my mom and the animals out," said Stephanie Humes. "My dad woke up this morning to the fire alarm going off. When he opened the door, the house was just full of smoke, so he got him, my mom and the animals out," said Stephanie Humes.
"When I got here, it was totally involved. The fire was coming out of the windows all the way down to the left hand side of the house," said Greenback Fire Chief Ronnie Lett. "When I got here, it was totally involved. The fire was coming out of the windows all the way down to the left hand side of the house," said Greenback Fire Chief Ronnie Lett.

By MIKE KRAFCIK
6 News Reporter

MARYVILLE (WATE) - A couple is okay after their mobile home went up in flames Friday morning.

Blount County dispatch confirms firefighters responded to the mobile home fire around 4:30 a.m. Friday on Williamson Chapel Road.

The Greenback Fire Department responded to the fire wish assistance from the Blount County Fire Department.

An older couple who was home at the time was able to get out safely without any injuries.

Stephanie Humes, the couple's daughter, couldn't believe what she saw.

"My dad woke up this morning to the fire alarm going off. When he opened the door, the house was just full of smoke, so he got him, my mom and the animals out," said Humes.

The home is considered a total loss.

"When I got here, it was totally involved. The fire was coming out of the windows all the way down to the left hand side of the house," said Greenback Fire Chief Ronnie Lett.

Lett says the cause was an electrical short in the furnace. The homeowner said he was having trouble getting it started.

The chief says it had not been properly maintained, and that could have made a difference.

Fire safety experts recommend that homeowners with furnaces have an annual inspection by a heating and air professional, replace or clean your furnace filter three or four times each year, and keep the area around your furnace clean and unobstructed.

Firefighters say too many homeowners don't take these proper precautions.

In this case, an ounce of prevention may have saved the home, but fortunately no lives were lost.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.