A nine-year-old boy was electrocuted by a downed wire Thursday night in south Nashville.
Christopher Ellison was riding his bike on Halloween night outside his home in the 500 block of Charles E. Davis Boulevard, when he ran over a live downed power line around 9:30 p.m.
He was rushed to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead just after 10 p.m.
Friday morning Christopher's cousin, Donzell White broke down in tears as he knelt down by a small red teddy bear placed near the spot where his little cousin lost his life.
White told News 2 he was the last person to see Christopher before he went out to play with his friends.
"He said, ‘I love you, cuz,'" White recalled, adding, "Five minutes later, they told me my little cousin was dead."
Stepmother Shaton Eubanks learned the devastating news while watching the news at work.
"I went crazy," she said. "He's gone. It's...it's....I don't know."
One day after Christopher's untimely death, family members went to his elementary school to pick up the last of his drawings and class work.
Students at Napier Elementary School were not in class Friday due to teacher conferences. Teachers are working with grief counselors on how they plan to tell students the tragic news of their classmate's death on Monday.
At the time Christopher ran over the live wire with his bike, more than 50 downed wires were reported due to high winds in the Nashville area.
The Nashville Electric Service expressed their condolences to the Ellison family.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this difficult time," the utility said in a statement Friday.
Nashville Mayor Karl Dean visited with Christopher's family at the hospital Thursday night and expressed his deepest condolences for their loss.
To leave condolences for the family, visit our Facebook page.
1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Can’t find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.