Cold temperatures make fighting Choto Road fire difficult

Cold temperatures make fighting Choto Road fire difficult

Posted:
The fire on Choto Road began Thanksgiving evening. The fire on Choto Road began Thanksgiving evening.
Firefighters had trouble battling the blaze due to freezing waterlines. Firefighters had trouble battling the blaze due to freezing waterlines.

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - Crews had trouble fighting a fire on Choto Road tonight due to freezing water lines.

When crews arrived, the house was fully involved. Deputies had to keep our 6 News photographer away from the scene because the area was icy. A salt truck had to be brought in to unfreeze water from the fire trucks.

Investigators say the fire started in the basement. No injuries have been reported, but we're told the family dog is missing.

According to the American Red Cross, the majority of home cooking fires happen on Thanksgiving. While the nature of the fire on Choto Road is still unknown, firefighters want to remind the community to be prepared for fires during the holiday season.

Here are some important tips to prevent kitchen fires. 

  • Children and pets should always be at least 3 feet away from the cooking area. 
  • Make sure your surfaces are clean of grease. 
  • Turn off burners if you leave the kitchen. 
  • Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby to snuff out small fires.
  • Always keep turkey fryers outside away from your house, deck and garage.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.