Corryton man severely burned while burning leaves

Corryton man severely burned while burning leaves

Posted:

CORRYTON (WATE) - A man burning leaves in Corryton was severely burned Wednesday when he poured gasoline onto the already burning leaves.

Barry Pierce, 50, was taken to UT Medical Center with at least 60 percent of his body burned. Investigators say he will be forwarded to a burn unit, possible at Vanderbilt.

Officials say Pierce has been cleaning leaves out of the gutter around 1 p.m. and put them in a barrel where he set them on fire.

After they were lit, he poured more gasoline. The vapors caused an explosion.

Pierce's father heard the loud noise, looked out the window, saw his son on fire and called 911.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.