Frustration grows over Jellico High School bomb threats

Frustration grows over Jellico High School bomb threats

Posted:
Another bomb threat led to an evacuation at Jellico High School Thursday, the fourth one since December. Another bomb threat led to an evacuation at Jellico High School Thursday, the fourth one since December.
Students were evacuated from the school Thursday morning.(source: unnamed Jellico student) Students were evacuated from the school Thursday morning.(source: unnamed Jellico student)
The students were kept in a nearby church. (source: unidentified Jellico student) The students were kept in a nearby church. (source: unidentified Jellico student)
"Ninety-eight percent of students are tired of it. They are ready to have school. We've had a lot of disruptions this year. The vast majority of the student body is over it," said Vice Principal Ronnie Lasley. "Ninety-eight percent of students are tired of it. They are ready to have school. We've had a lot of disruptions this year. The vast majority of the student body is over it," said Vice Principal Ronnie Lasley.
"I said I'm going to take him back to the house. He's safer at home than he is here," Frank Anderson said, though he admits his son's school work is suffering. "I said I'm going to take him back to the house. He's safer at home than he is here," Frank Anderson said, though he admits his son's school work is suffering.

By JILL MCNEAL
6 News Anchor/Reporter

JELLICO (WATE) - Another bomb threat led to an evacuation at Jellico High School Thursday, the fourth one since December.

School officials say a 15-year-old boy has now been arrested for the threat and will be taken to the Juvenile Detention Center in Knoxville.

With all these bomb threat incidents disrupting the school day, parents are now wondering if the response policy might change.

Authorities gave the all clear for everyone to return to the high school about 12:30 Thursday afternoon, but by that time, many parents had already picked up their kids. Out of 400 students, only 70 came back to class for the rest of the day.

"Ninety-eight percent of students are tired of it. They are ready to have school. We've had a lot of disruptions this year. The vast majority of the student body is over it," said Vice Principal Ronnie Lasley.

Though the four students arrested for the four bomb threats this school year have all been expelled, Lasley says it keeps happening.

"The story we keep getting is that they simply want to go home. They're using this as a tool to go home," he said.

Lasley says if the school is cleared early enough, like it was Thursday, students can go back to class, though many parents, like Frank Anderson, opt to pick them up instead.

"I said I'm going to take him back to the house. He's safer at home than he is here," he said, though he admits his son's school work is suffering.

"His grades are going up and down. Not getting to stay in school, he's not learning,"

Vice Principal Lasley says teachers are just as frustrated.

"What our test scores look like is going to affect us. With disruptions of this nature and the weather, we're missing a lot of instruction time in the classroom," said Lasley.

He wants to assure parents they would never allow students back in the building if it wasn't safe.

The Campbell County Sheriff's Office says these continued school bomb threats take up a lot of their time and taxpayer money. They're going to be working with the school district to see if anything more can be done to stop them.

Campbell County also had to use 10 snow days due to the recent winter weather.

Parents and administrators say that combined with the bomb threat days means kids aren't getting the education they deserve.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WATE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.