Fire destroys New Market home

Fire destroys New Market home, neighbor injured trying to rescue animals

Posted: Updated:
New Market Volunteer Fire Department officials say the Russell Gap Road mobile home became fully engulfed in flames, eventually destroying the property. (photo source: Sammy Solomon) New Market Volunteer Fire Department officials say the Russell Gap Road mobile home became fully engulfed in flames, eventually destroying the property. (photo source: Sammy Solomon)

By DREW GARDNER
6 News Reporter

NEW MARKET (WATE) - A Jefferson County home was in ruins Tuesday morning after a fire tore through the building.

New Market Volunteer Fire Department officials say the Russell Gap Road mobile home became fully engulfed in flames, eventually destroying the property.

Robert Herrell owns the home and has lived on the property all his life. He and his wife were asleep when the flames broke out. It was the smell of the smoke that eventually woke them up.

"It was just already in flames," said Herrell. "The hallway that we had to come down was full of smoke and fire in one room it was so bad we could just barely get by it."

Both managed to make it out safely, but a neighbor injured her leg after rushing inside to try to rescue the family's two dogs.

"She broke a window out and tried to get in through the front, but by the time she got in there the fire was so bad within 30 minutes it was burned up," said Herrell.

New Market Fire Captain Sammy Solomon says the couple may have been able to escape sooner if their smoke detectors were working properly. He says this should be a reminder to everyone to check their own detectors often.

"If anybody needs any fire alarms in our coverage area we have a fire alarm program where we will come in and install the fire alarm for them," said Solomon.

"I had some, but the batteries were dead," added Herrell. "I regret that. I'll regret that from now on I guess."

Herrell says the hardest thing for him is dealing with the loss of his dogs.

"They was like just one of us," said Herrell. "Like the family. That's hurting us the worst. That was a real lost to us."

The family is now staying with a neighbor. The American Red Cross also says it is helping the them by providing food, clothing and other services if needed.

Solomon believes the cause of the fire may have been electrical.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.