Union County grandmother killed in house fire

Union County grandmother killed in house fire

Posted: Updated:
The blaze started around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday on the 3700 block of Maynardville Highway. The blaze started around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday on the 3700 block of Maynardville Highway.
Fire crews with the Maynardville Fire Department found Hall’s body in the back bedroom of her mobile home. They also found the remains of her two dogs. Fire crews with the Maynardville Fire Department found Hall’s body in the back bedroom of her mobile home. They also found the remains of her two dogs.
The flames heavily damaged the back section of the house but firefighters were able to keep it from moving to the other side. The flames heavily damaged the back section of the house but firefighters were able to keep it from moving to the other side.
Malina McGhee says she and her husband rushed over to try and help their elderly neighbor, but it was too late. Malina McGhee says she and her husband rushed over to try and help their elderly neighbor, but it was too late.
By HAYLEY HARMON
6 News Anchor/Reporter

MAYNARDVILLE (WATE) - A Union County grandmother was killed in a house fire early Wednesday morning.

Officials say the fire began just after 6:30 am in the 3700 block of Maynardville Highway in Maynardville.

Maynardville Chief of Police Brian Smith says resident Laura Hall, 68, was killed.

Fire crews with the Maynardville Fire Department found Hall’s body in the back bedroom of her mobile home. They also found the remains of her two dogs.

The flames heavily damaged the back section of the house but firefighters were able to keep it from moving to the other side.

"The fire departments did an excellent job of containing it to one room. They did a really good job at that,” said Smith.

Hall’s next door neighbor called 911 after spotting smoke coming from her windows.

Malina McGhee says she and her husband rushed over to try and help their elderly neighbor, but it was too late.

"By the time he got to the front door, the smoke was too thick. He couldn't get in. He saw her dogs and he seen her, but she was already gone,” said McGhee.

Family members told 6 News Hall was a beloved grandmother of three.

"She was a sweet woman. I loved her to death. She reminded me of my grandmother,” said McGhee.

That’s why it’s so hard for them, along with McGhee and this rest of the residents here, to accept that the woman they saw just yesterday has died.

"I hate it. I hate it. But she's gone,” said McGhee.

Fire officials say it’s too early to determine if the home is a total loss.

As to the cause of the fire, the Tennessee Fire Marshal’s office is handling the investigation.

Smith confirms Hall was on oxygen and that there were several oxygen tanks in the home, but they won’t know if that had anything to do with the cause of the fire until the investigation is complete.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.