Teen charged in 2013 accidental shooting death of Maryville 17-y

Teen charged in 2013 accidental shooting death of Maryville 17-year-old

Posted: Updated:
Skyler Boring (source: family) Skyler Boring (source: family)
6 News Reporter

MARYVILLE (WATE) - The Blount County Sheriff's Office says it has charged a man in the accidental shooting of a 17-year-old Heritage High School student.

The 18-year-old man, who was 17 at the time of the shooting, was charged in Blount County Juvenile Court with delinquency pursuant to criminally negligent homicide.

Family members describe Boring as kind, caring, an all-star athlete, and his mom's best friend.

"I miss my son," said his mother Amy Boring.

It was bittersweet news for Boring's family members hearing investigators made an arrest one year later and nearly one week from the day he was shot and killed.

"He needs to be arrested as an adult because my son never got to make it to 18 and it's his fault," said Boring.

Investigators have not yet released the name of their suspect.

"I've been obsessing over what these boys are doing and how they're living their lives. My son is gone and he hasn't got one anymore," added Boring.

Over the last year loved ones say they've been struggling with frustration, pain, and just waiting for answers.

"So many questions, so many unanswered questions. The stories that we were hearing about in the beginning were totally out of character for our grandson," said his grandmother Judy Mincey.

Since day one though, the family says they've simply wanted justice for their son and grandson.

"To us this is the first step. We're so thankful that this first step has happened but there's still a long battle ahead of us," said Mincey.

"OK someone got arrested and I'm happy because that is affirmation that my son's life was worth something," added Boring.

Family members tell 6 News they plan on attending every court appearance.

Previous story: Maryville teen killed in apparent accidental shooting

Relatives said Skyler Boring, 17, was shot in the chest on May 28, 2013 while he and some friends were playing with guns. Police responded to the residence, but learned Boring was already being taken to Blount Memorial Hospital by personal vehicle.

They were met by Rural/Metro Ambulance Service in the parking lot of a local business while they were en route to the hospital. Boring was then taken by ambulance to BMH and flown by Lifestar to UT Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

The investigation into the incident was concluded on Friday.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.