Crossville fire officials push safety after snake bite incident

Crossville fire officials push safety after snake bite incident

Posted:
A 15-year-old girl was bitten last week when she accidentally stepped on a snake at Obed River Park. A 15-year-old girl was bitten last week when she accidentally stepped on a snake at Obed River Park.
People in the area learning about the incident say they're keeping a better eye on their children as a result. People in the area learning about the incident say they're keeping a better eye on their children as a result.
By CAMERON TAYLOR
6 News Reporter

CROSSVILLE (WATE) -
Many East Tennesseans are making their way outdoors to enjoy warmer temperatures and so are snakes. 

Last week a 15-year-old Crossville girl was bitten by a copperhead. The Crossville Fire Department told 6 News it happened as she was walking in a park and stepped on it.

Previous story: Crossville girl bitten by snake

Joyce McConaha and her 2-year-old grandson Ian come to Obed River Park often. McConaha couldn't believe a 15-year-old girl was bit by a copperhead snake while walking on the trails of the park. 


"I wish there was something we could do about the copperheads situation, but in a park, that's where they breed," said McConaha.

Crossville Fire Rescue Chief Mike Turner said the young girl is lucky the snake didn't inject any venom in her foot. 

"More times than not, you know, every snake bite I've ever saw, venom was injected and it just wasn't this young lady's time yet," said Turner.

Turner says any time a copperhead snake bites you, you should immediately go to the hospital. Typically you won't know if the snake has injected poison in you until your wound starts to swell.

Turner says snakes like the copperhead are common for the Crossville area and there will be more of them with the summer weather. 

"Snakes are real bad in this part because of all the rocks and water that we've got. We just don't let our gets get away from us," said Ferlin Findley of Crossville.

People in the area learning about the incident say they're keeping a better eye on their children as a result.

"I just keep an eye out on our surroundings and watch where we're walking and he's right there with me," said McConaha.

Crossville Fire Rescue officials say the best way to protect yourself is to keep your eyes on the trail and keep a walking stick with you in case you come across a snake.

They also say the snake bite incident is the first one this year when someone was sent to the hospital.
Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.