Pit bull saves deaf teen from house fire

Pit bull saves deaf teen from house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Related LInksMore>>

  • Burned Arcadia dog Hope healing, helping others

    Burned Arcadia dog Hope healing, helping others

    Monday, August 4 2014 3:35 PM EDT2014-08-04 19:35:01 GMT
    Hope with her new owner Leigh Sockolosky.Hope with her new owner Leigh Sockolosky.
    There is a lot of good in this story. Because of Hope's near-death experience more than $58,000 was raised from well-wishers around the world who wanted to help pay for Hope's medical treatment. Hope didn't need that much money. So, other animals are now benefiting from it.More >>
    There is a lot of good in this story. Because of Hope's near-death experience more than $58,000 was raised from well-wishers around the world who wanted to help pay for Hope's medical treatment. Hope didn't need that much money. So, other animals are now benefiting from it.More >>
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (WFLA) -

(WISH/CNN) A pit bull is being called a hero for saving a sleeping deaf teen from a raging house fire.

“He's always been good with people that comes over; he's never been really aggressive,” stepfather James Bernard said. “He's just like one of the family members basically.”

Two-year-old Ace is getting a lot of attention lately, and on Wednesday afternoon, the Bernard family’s pit bull became an instant hero.

Nick Lamb, 13, is legally deaf and was sleeping without his cochlear implants inside his Indianapolis home.

“He woke me up because I couldn't hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room,” Nick said.

“He had to get up on him in his face and stuff - he's a hero,” mother Lindsay Bernard said.

The fire department took photos of the home when they arrived on the scene, showing how flames quickly took over the home.

“There was a bunch of loud popping noises and everything else, but the dog obviously knew something wrong and he went and woke him up,” James Bernard said.

Nick was in his bedroom on the second floor. He says when Ace woke him up, he quickly grabbed one of his two cochlear implants and they escaped.

“I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire,” Nick said.

There is not much left of the home, but the Bernard family says they have so much more to be thankful for.

“I would have never seen this from him. I didn't see this coming,” James Bernard said.

Most of all, they are thankful for Ace.

“I love him a lot more now,” Nick said.

Investigators think the fire may have started in the garage and estimate the damage at $175,000. The Indianapolis Fire Department victim’s assistance unit is helping the Bernards find shelter.

The family did have insurance.


 

  • Most Viewed Stories on WFLA.com

  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields






    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.