Cocke Co. toddler dies after being infected with E. coli

Cocke Co. toddler dies after being infected with E. coli

October 17, 2007

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- A Cocke County toddler who became infected with E. coli has died, according to officials at UT Medical Center.

Jaycee Burgin, 20-months-old, of Newport, died just before 11:00 p.m. Tuesday. Her uncle, John Burgin, says her heart stopped and the hospital staff wasn't able to revive her.

Jaycee had been determined to be brain dead on Monday night. She was diagnosed with the infection on October 9.

The Burgin family believes Jaycee is in a better place now and watching over them.

Officials with the East Tennessee Regional Health Department said Wednesday the source of Jaycee's infection has not been confirmed.

However, her family says Jaycee had a little bit of hamburger meat the Saturday before she got sick but they don't know if that was the cause of her infection.

Since no other E. coli infections have been reported recently in Cocke County, health officials say they think the cases will be limited to Burgin's.

Officials also say Burgin's case was not related to three cases of children's E. coli infections being treated in Knoxville.

The source of those infections is recalled ground beef, the Knox County Health Department said Tuesday.

Health officials said the beef was made by Cargill and sold at Sam's Club. All three infections were linked to the same strain of bacteria.

Those cases involve a 14-year-old, along with a four-year-old boy and a one-year-old girl who are siblings.

MORE:   1  |  2  |  NEXT PAGE >>

6 News Reporter Whitney Holmes contributed to this report.

Powered by WorldNow

1306 N. Broadway NE Knoxville,
Tennessee 37917

Telephone: 865.637.NEWS(6397)
Fax: 865.525.4091
Email: newsroom@wate.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Knoxville, Inc. A Media General Company.