Congratulations to Loanne VanVoorhis, our Teacher of the Month for March.
Ms. VanVoorhis is a special education/CDC teacher at Loudon Elementary Elementary School.
Andrea and Denziel Westby started out offering six reasons why they thought she was a great teacher and ended up with seven:
1. Her students come first -- her committment to the children in her classroom-students who otherwise could not learn in a conventional classroom because of significant disabilities- are doing amazing things.
2. She truly is the most creative, and giving teacher I have every encountered. She make the students activities and leasons fun and they don't even realize how much they are learning.
3. She teaches her students that they are much more capable than even they, their peer, the other teachers or even their parents think they are.
4. She has an amazing ability to make them love learning and school. You would think that these students who struggle so much would want to give up, but each and every one loves coming to school and are so proud of their own accomplishments.
5. She holds her students accountable. She doesn't allow them to slide because of their disabilities but instead makes them take responsiblity for their work and actions. She is teaching them real life skills and that as productive members of society one day they will be held accountable for their actions.
6. She see's each and everyone of her students as worthwhile. Although some of her students including mine challenge her daily she truly see's them as capable, loving and worthy of her time, and attention.
7. And most of all, because after dealing with 3 different schools, countless teachers and administrators I truly have the assurance that my child will not be just a number or fall thru the cracks. I have seen more progress and more importantly a positive change in attitude over the last year and half with Ms. VanVoorhis than I have in the last 6 years combined. I can't begin to thank her enough for what she has done for my son, my family and all those involved with her. She is truly an inspiration.