Congratulations to Larry McCrum, our Teacher of the Month for April.
Mr. McCrum is a 7th grade science teacher at Cherokee Middle School in Kingston.
Sandra Hendrickson and Allison Taylor submitted their nomination, listing these reasons why Mr. McCrum is an outstanding educator.
1. He has high expectations for all his students regardless of their abilities.
2. He inspires his students daily to reach their fullest potential. He uses a hands-on approach for teaching science, and "book learning" is secondary to his lab classes. Students have built hydrgrometers, watched corn snakes born in class and too many experiements to mention here
3. He goes above and beyond the call of duty. When one of his students had a heart transplant at Vanderbilt, he made the trip to Nashville to be with the family (Ashley Paine- Jordan Hensley). He respects each child, and they in turn respect him and gives him their best effort.
4. He has a positive impact on students, parents and and the community. He attends all school functions, dances, sports.etc
5. He was the son of two missionaries, and while living In Hawaii he was a very poor student. But one of his 7th grade teachers took an interest in him and became an excellent student. This experience inspired him to become a teacher to give back and help other students who were having difficulty achieving.