NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Tennessee Department of Health reported Friday there have been 3,067 cases of coronavirus in the state with 37 deaths.
Deaths are up by five — or 16% — from Thursday and cases are up 222 — or 8%.
RELATED: Coronavirus resources
There have been 293 hospitalizations attributed to the coronavirus in Tennessee, according to the figures released by the state Department of Health. Some 248 people have recovered. There have been 37,839 tests in the state.
The Knox County Health Department reported earlier Friday that there have been 93 coronavirus cases in Knox County, but the state figures show 98 COVID cases.
The state began reporting deaths by county on Wednesday. The county with the highest number of deaths COVID-19 is Sumner, where eight have died. Six have died in Davidson and Shelby County.
Gov. Bill Lee was in Knoxville earlier Friday talking to local officials about plans to handle an expected surge in coronavirus patients. He said a “tremendous challenge” lies ahead.
Lee issued a new executive order on Thursday requiring that Tennesseans stay home unless they are carrying out essential activities as data shows citizens are not staying at home.
Tennessee is closing at its state parks on Saturday, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closed and TVA has closed many of its public access areas. Knox County and Knoxville have restrictions on the use of parks.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party