NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee sketched out details of the plan to reopen the state’s economy Friday a few hours before the Tennessee Department of Health gave its daily coronavirus update of 8,726 cases – a one-day increase of 460 cases, or 6%.
Both Shelby and Davidson counties have passed 2,000 cases each. Shelby has the most deaths with 42 followed by Sumner with 32.
There have been 168 deaths from coronavirus. On Thursday, The department reported 170 deaths but said the lower number on Friday results from a data entry error. There have been 808 hospitalizations due to coronavirus and 4,370 have recovered from the virus. Tennessee has tested 131,298 people.
Most state parks reopened Friday, but the Great Smoky Mountains National Park has not set a date to reopen.
While Lee and top aides spent 45 minutes outlining new guidelines, there are no plans to enforce them. “We think that the consumers will enforce them, the business community itself will enforce them, the industry groups that have influence and impact and developed guidelines for industries, that’s how this is going to be enforced,” Lee told reporters.
Nationally, the death toll has crested 50,000.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party