NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Some 98 people have died of coronavirus in Tennessee and the number of cases statewide have grown to 4,862, the Tennessee Department of Health said Friday.
There have been 536 hospitalizations attributed to the coronavirus in Tennessee and 1,145 people have recovered. There have been 62,799 tests administered in the state.
The Knox County Health Department reported two new cases on Friday, bringing the total case number to 154. There are now 35 active cases in the county as of April 10, down from 42 on Thursday. The state lists 164 for Knox County.
The Tennessee Board of Education voted Thursday on emergency COVID-19 rules detailing how to proceed with the school year. One change the emergency rules change for education policies is that students won’t be given an unexcused absence or reported as truant due to any absences while the schools are closed.
The pandemic’s effect on the economy and the state stay-at-home order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 has sent unemployment claims skyrocketing. “It’s not reason to panic, for certain, it’s a reason to be prudent both health wise and economic wise,” said Bill Fox, Director of the Boyd Center for Business and Economic Research at the University of Tennessee.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party