KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – There are two new COVID-19 related deaths in Knox County for a total of eight since the county began tracking coronavirus cases.
There are 17 new cases of coronavirus — a 1.43% one-day increase — with the total case count standing at 1,203, the Knox County Health Department said Sunday. Knox County reported a total of 425 active cases on Sunday.
There are 20 Knox County COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized.
Of the 1,203 cases, 90 have resulted in hospitalization at some point during the illness. The total number of cases includes 31 probable cases.
The breakdown by race of the deaths shows three were Black, three were white and for two the race is not known. One death has been Hispanic.
Saturday, the Health Department reported 93 new cases and that came after 70 new COVID-19 cases and the first death since April on Thursday. Spikes of 53 and 50 cases were seen on Monday and Wednesday as well.
The number of people who have recovered is 770. Recovered cases refer to those who have been released from isolation after 10 days from their onset of symptoms, plus 72 hours of being symptom-free. Recovered does not mean necessarily the person had to be hospitalized.
Eight people have died in Knox County from COVID-19.
The Knox County Health Department updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information.
On Wednesday, the Knox County Board of Health voted to require face coverings in most public indoor spaces. The order is slated to go into effect Friday and will be assessed at each Board of Health meeting moving forward.
Under the order, children under 12 years of age and those with certain medical conditions are exempt.
Places of worship, public schools as well as state and federal government facilities are excluded.
The intent of the order is to increase face covering to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Timeline: TN Dept. of Health reports over 117K total cases, along with over 1,200 deaths
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Lawsuit filed against Athens nursing home
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 2 new deaths, 103 new recoveries
- The Change Center temporarily closing due to COVID-19
- Morristown West football player tests positive for COVID-19
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Deaths continue to climb, rising by 20 to 1,206 on Friday
- SEC announces initial COVID-19 safety protocols
- US kids, parents perform DIY tests for coronavirus science
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports 50% drop in hospitalizations
- Georgia student suspended after posting photo of crowded hall
- Kentucky governor extends mask mandate to combat coronavirus
- US stops advising against global travel, but hits Mexico
- Ohio Gov. DeWine negative for coronavirus in second test
- State announces new resources for parents and teachers