KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – There are two new COVID-19 related deaths in Knox County for a total of eight since the county began tracking coronavirus cases.
There are 17 new cases of coronavirus — a 1.43% one-day increase — with the total case count standing at 1,203, the Knox County Health Department said Sunday. Knox County reported a total of 425 active cases on Sunday.
There are 20 Knox County COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized.
Of the 1,203 cases, 90 have resulted in hospitalization at some point during the illness. The total number of cases includes 31 probable cases.
The breakdown by race of the deaths shows three were Black, three were white and for two the race is not known. One death has been Hispanic.
Saturday, the Health Department reported 93 new cases and that came after 70 new COVID-19 cases and the first death since April on Thursday. Spikes of 53 and 50 cases were seen on Monday and Wednesday as well.
The number of people who have recovered is 770. Recovered cases refer to those who have been released from isolation after 10 days from their onset of symptoms, plus 72 hours of being symptom-free. Recovered does not mean necessarily the person had to be hospitalized.
Eight people have died in Knox County from COVID-19.
The Knox County Health Department updates its numbers daily at 11 a.m. Visit covid.knoxcountytn.gov for more information.
On Wednesday, the Knox County Board of Health voted to require face coverings in most public indoor spaces. The order is slated to go into effect Friday and will be assessed at each Board of Health meeting moving forward.
Under the order, children under 12 years of age and those with certain medical conditions are exempt.
Places of worship, public schools as well as state and federal government facilities are excluded.
The intent of the order is to increase face covering to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party