NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Tennessee’s escalating coronavirus outbreak continued Saturday with 1,428 new virus cases and four new COVID-19 related deaths.
That brings the total case count to 50,140, up 2.9%. The death toll is 637, the Tennessee Department of Health reported.
Some 30,043 people have recovered from the virus. There have been 2,860 people hospitalized and 878,230 have been tested.
Late Friday, Gov. Bill Lee gave county mayors in 89 counties the authority to set mask-wearing mandates. The executive order does not apply to the six largest counties which have their own health departments. Knox, Shelby and Davidson counties have made masks mandatory in most indoor public places.
Sevier County, one of the counties where number of coronavirus cases has shot up in recent weeks, may announce Monday whether it will make masks mandatory.
The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday the suspension of on-site visitation, including volunteer ministries, at all SCSO corrections facilities until further notice.
Knox County reported a record number of cases on Saturday.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party