CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the increase in deaths.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The number of confirmed coronavirus cases on Thursday in Tennessee is 21,679 with 356 deaths and 415,989 tests, Tennessee Department of Health said.
Cases rose by 373 — or 1.8% — from Wednesday. The number of deaths from the coronavirus jumped by three — or a 0.8% one-day increase, according to the Department of Health.
RELATED: Timeline of the pandemic
There have been 1,689 people hospitalized and 14,632 have recovered.
The latest update on the site Rt.live shows Tennessee has the highest rate of coronavirus spread of any state. “Rt” is the average number of people who become infected by an infectious person. If Rt is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly. When Rt is below 1.0, the virus will stop spreading. Tennesse’s Rt on Thursday afternoon is 1.06.
Bordering states, Arkansas and Alabama, also are among the states with high Rt numbers.
One person raising concerns is Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke. He says recent data shows the coronavirus is still actively spreading throughout the Chattanooga area. As of Wednesday, Hamilton County — which encompasses Chattanooga — had 774 confirmed cases, more than double the number it had 10 days earlier.
The Knox County Health Department begins walk-in testing next week at its main office.
Gov. Bill Lee has announced more guidance for noncontact sports, summer camps and for colleges and universities.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party