CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the increase in deaths.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The number of confirmed coronavirus cases on Thursday in Tennessee is 21,679 with 356 deaths and 415,989 tests, Tennessee Department of Health said.
Cases rose by 373 — or 1.8% — from Wednesday. The number of deaths from the coronavirus jumped by three — or a 0.8% one-day increase, according to the Department of Health.
RELATED: Timeline of the pandemic
There have been 1,689 people hospitalized and 14,632 have recovered.
The latest update on the site Rt.live shows Tennessee has the highest rate of coronavirus spread of any state. “Rt” is the average number of people who become infected by an infectious person. If Rt is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly. When Rt is below 1.0, the virus will stop spreading. Tennesse’s Rt on Thursday afternoon is 1.06.
Bordering states, Arkansas and Alabama, also are among the states with high Rt numbers.
One person raising concerns is Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke. He says recent data shows the coronavirus is still actively spreading throughout the Chattanooga area. As of Wednesday, Hamilton County — which encompasses Chattanooga — had 774 confirmed cases, more than double the number it had 10 days earlier.
The Knox County Health Department begins walk-in testing next week at its main office.
Gov. Bill Lee has announced more guidance for noncontact sports, summer camps and for colleges and universities.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Confirmed, probable COVID-19 cases rise; masks mandated in Knox County
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus: Sevier County Sheriff suspends on-site visitation at corrections facilities
- Couple gets COVID-19, mother gives birth before dying of virus
- Governor Hutchinson to allow cities in Arkansas to pass mask mandates
- Hotspot Tennessee: 1,822 new coronavirus cases puts total at 48,712
- Tennessee hires accounting firm to help with $7B COVID funds
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: 364 active cases in Knox County, 1,093 total cases
- Confirmed coronavirus cases are rising in 40 of 50 states
- Officials announce 14-day quarantine for travelers coming into Chicago airports from COVID-19 hotspots
- Knoxville businesses and the new mask mandate: how inside will look different
- Pellissippi State employee at Hardin Valley Campus tests positive for coronavirus
- Ten Harrogate rehabilitation center employees test positive for coronavirus
- REQUIRED: All Texans must wear face coverings, Gov. Greg Abbott orders
- Tracking Coronavirus in Tennessee: Amid growing concern, 1,575 new cases and 11 new deaths reported