KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Health care professionals across Tennessee are adjusting how they handle everything during the COVID-19 pandemic.
That includes a local nonprofit health care ministry that provides medical, dental and mental health care for the working uninsured.
Officials with Interfaith Health Clinic tell WATE they’re continuing their work to make sure their regular patients are still getting the care they need while welcoming in new patients who may have lost their jobs due to the coronavirus.
“We are relaxing our eligibility requirements right now. We don’t want anyone going without care at this time, and we don’t want anybody being forced to go to the emergency room which is already overrun.”Melissa Knight – Executive Director of Interfaith Health Clinic
Interfaith tells us they’ve seen an increase in new patients, and a 50% increase in mental health counseling because of the pandemic.
The clinic isn’t set up for testing but offers telemedicine options to help calm people’s fears about the virus.
- Coronavirus Timeline: March 2020
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: 1,537 COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths in state, Department of Health reports
- US warship captain seeks crew isolation as virus spreads
- Coronavirus: Sevier County now offering COVID-19 testing
- Coronavirus: New drive-thru testing site open in Greene County
- Lee: More information to be released on COVID-19 deaths
- Tracking Coronavirus: Masks — who needs them, who doesn’t
- Knox County Health Department issues new guidelines for food trucks
- TN National Guard nurses step in amid COVID-19 outbreak at Gallatin nursing home
- Coronavirus Timeline: April 2020
- Coronavirus: Knoxville driver takes safety precautions amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Should you wear mask in public if not sick with coronavirus?
- Holyoke community left with more questions than answers in death of 13 veterans at Soldiers’ Home
- VIDEO: Husband sings through Bay Minette nursing home window to his 83-year-old wife