KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Knox County will provide some COVID-19 testing for uninsured residents through the Knox County Health Department, Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs said late Wednesday.
“One of the most important things we can do to stop the spread of COVID-19 is extensive testing,” Jacobs said. “As we continue to keep our community protected, we’re happy to help people who cannot afford that cost.”
RELATED: Coronavirus Resources
To qualify, call the Knox County Health Department at 865-215-5555 and Health Department staff will assess patients over the phone to determine testing options, Jacobs said in a Facebook post.
Residents must be symptomatic and meet clinical guidelines to be tested. Please note, the tests are limited and only those who meet the clinical guidelines will be tested, since supplies are low.
Symptoms include a fever of more than 100.4, a cough and shortness of breath. Walk-in testing is not available at the Health Department.
Jacobs also encouraged residents to continue practicing social distancing.
For more information about COVID-19, visit https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/
- Coronavirus Timeline: March 2020
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: 1,537 COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths in state, Department of Health reports
- US warship captain seeks crew isolation as virus spreads
- Coronavirus: Sevier County now offering COVID-19 testing
- Coronavirus: New drive-thru testing site open in Greene County
- Lee: More information to be released on COVID-19 deaths
- Tracking Coronavirus: Masks — who needs them, who doesn’t
- Knox County Health Department issues new guidelines for food trucks
- TN National Guard nurses step in amid COVID-19 outbreak at Gallatin nursing home
- Coronavirus Timeline: April 2020
- Coronavirus: Knoxville driver takes safety precautions amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Should you wear mask in public if not sick with coronavirus?
- Holyoke community left with more questions than answers in death of 13 veterans at Soldiers’ Home
- VIDEO: Husband sings through Bay Minette nursing home window to his 83-year-old wife