NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The Tennessee Department of Health said Tuesday the state has 124 coronavirus deaths and 5,823 cases.
Deaths increased by 15 (a 14% jump) from Monday and cases are up by 213 (a 4% increase).
There have been 633 hospitalizations attributed to the coronavirus in Tennessee and 1,969 people have recovered. There have been 78,831 tests administered in the state.
Sumner remains the county with the most deahts at 26. Shelby has had 21 and Davidson 16. Knox County has had four and Blount County has had three. There has been one death in Hamblen County.
Tennessee Governor Bill Lee on Monday extended the existing statewide ‘Stay-at-Home’ order requiring citizens to stay home unless they are carrying out essential activities, but at the same time said planning is beginning on how to reopen the state’s economy.
President Donald Trump said Monday he has the “total” authority to reopen the economy and can overrule the wishes of governors. One of his top medical advisors, Dr. Anthony Fauci said: “We’re not there yet.”
Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs is getting there in opening the economy, submitting his thoughts to the governor in a six-week plan. The state figures show 174 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Knox County.
When or will students go back to school across the state this year? Lee said the answer is likely to come Wednesday.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party