NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Tennessee continued reporting high numbers of new coronavirus cases on Friday with 1,822 new virus cases and 13 new COVID-19 related deaths.
That brings the total case count to 48,712, up 3.9%. The death toll is 633, up 2.1%, from Thursday, the Tennessee Department of Health reported..
Some 29,591 people have recovered from the virus. There have been 2,825 people hospitalized and 862,121 have been tested.
A mask mandate went into effect Friday in Knox County (joining Memphis and Nashville in requiring masks) that requires anyone 12 and older in indoor public spaces to wear a face covering.
The virus continues to take a toll on popular events. The Blount Partnership said Friday the Taste of Blount, Townsend Fall Festival and Best of Blount Awards have been canceled and will not be rescheduled in 2020.
Bristol Motor Speedway officials have outlined safety plans for the July 15 NASCAR All-Star race that include social distancing, face masks and screening protocols.
Area businesses, organizations and educational institutions continue to announce outbreaks. Jails and prisons have seen large numbers of cases, but Knox County reported this week only its first case of coronavirus at its detention center.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party