KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — At Friday afternoon’s Rose Garden briefing, Seema Verma said her agency CMS, which runs Medicare and Medicaid, will be issuing guidance directing nursing homes to temporarily restrict all visitors and non-essential personnel. There would be a few exceptions, including end-of-life situations.
WATE 6 On Your Side reporter Elizabeth Kuebel spoke to a Knoxville assisted living facility already taking precautions in the face of the coronavirus.
Renaissance Terrace says they are taking people’s temperatures as they walk into the facility. That’s followed by a series of questions: Have you been out of the country? Have you had any respiratory issues?
They say this is the process that happens for every single person walking through the doors.
Administrator Pat Benn said they are also educating residents about proper handwashing, increasing hand sanitizer throughout the facility and limiting who comes inside.
“We decided yesterday to close our facility to everyone except for essential personnel. So unless you’re someone that has to be in the building, if you work here or provide hospice or home health services, then we’re limiting everyone else from coming in,” Benn said.
Renaissance Terrace acknowledges their senior population is one of the most at risk, and they’re doing what they can to protect them.
“These are just precautions. I would hope that people wouldn’t be frightened, but that they would just be careful,” Benn said.
- Coronavirus Timeline: Total COVID-19 cases near 175K, deaths now stand at 2,097 in the state
- CHART: Tennessee Department of Health’s count of coronavirus cases by day in state
- Greene County mayor extends mask mandate through September 30
- Video and pictures of packed house party near KU campus spark concern as virus cases rise
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Two weeks into September, state has seen a 12.48% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 19.56% increase in deaths
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Knox County reports smallest 1-day increase in new cases so far in September
- Oxford and AstraZeneca resume coronavirus vaccine trial
- Tennessee Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 cases reach 171,824 with 933 new cases reported Sunday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 204 as Knox County reports 121 new cases & no new deaths
- As Trump played down virus, health experts’ alarm grew
- Dakotas lead US in virus growth as both reject mask rules
- Tennessee Coronavirus: COVID-19 deaths hit 2,064 with 39 new ones reported Saturday
- Coronavirus in Tennessee: Inactive cases rise by 229 as Knox County reports 189 new cases & 3 new deaths
- As restaurants, bars re-open amid coronavirus, CDC study urges caution
- Ohio college students test positive for coronavirus, throw party
- Simone Biles out of team finals with apparent injury
- Olympic champion Simone Biles out of team finals with apparent injury
- Colorado monitoring 2 people after monkeypox exposure on flight
- Knoxville City Council to meet Tuesday night, confirm African American Equity Restoration Task Force
- British swimmer beats COVID twice to win gold at Olympics